[time-nuts] Correcting jitter on the 1 PPS signalfrom a GPS receiver.

Dave Martindale dave.martindale at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 17:43:23 UTC 2014

I will agree that the end termination is optional if you are delivering a
pulse signal to just one input, which is at the far end of the coax.

However, I think there's still a problem with series-only termination when
the pulse signal is daisy-chained through multiple inputs.  When you apply
5 volts through a 50 ohm terminator to a 50 ohm cable, the instantaneous
voltage on the coax is only 2.5 V.  A pulse of amplitude 2.5 V travels down
the cable, and reflects from the open far end.  The reflection travels back
along the cable to the source, raising the voltage from 2.5 to 5 V as it
passes.

A device input located at the far end of the cable sees a single edge of 5
V amplitude, so it's happy.  But anything located somewhere along the cable
run sees two edges: one from 0 to 2.5 V, then a constant 2.5 V for a period
equal to twice the delay of the remaining cable, then another edge from 2.5
to 5 V.  Depending on the input threshold, this in-between device might
trigger reliably on the first edge, the second edge, or not reliably on
either.

Having proper far-end termination is critical for analog video, where
daisy-chaining is common, and a reflection that's even 1% of the amplitude
of the original signal is likely to be visible as a ghost image.  With
pulse signals, maybe it makes more sense to use one cable per device input,
input plus lots of distribution amplifiers and splitters.

- Dave