[time-nuts] WWVB d-psk-r down conversion method

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Sep 22 23:42:43 UTC 2014

Hi

Is it really that much harder to process a 1 KHz note out of a direct conversion receiver than it is to process a 100 Hz note?

Put another way - you already have a crystal filter in the front end of the “radio” right? It will do a better job knocking down an “adjacent channel” 2 KHz away than one 200 Hz away. Even without the crystal filter, the only likely thing you are trying to reject is noise. Effectively the “no filter” approach degrades your signal to noise by 3 to 6 db depending on the type of noise you are dealing with.

I’m asking because I may have missed something that makes 100 Hz “magic” ….

Bob