[time-nuts] First few measurements of my Arduino Due GPSDO

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Sep 25 15:37:03 UTC 2014

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for all your plots. Could you also make the 86400 data set (or .TIM file) available?
Some comments:

> ADEV was a perfectly straight line so I didn't bother. MDEV displays a
> little more structure, but I'm not really clear on the interpretation.

Correct. A PLL, by definition, will constrain any long-term phase and frequency drift and so an ADEV plot just goes down with -1 slope.

MDEV artificially removes (by post-measurement averaging) as much white noise as it can before plotting and this may or may not be what you want. It all depends on what you plan to use the frequency standard for.

> I like TDEV. Same information as MDEV but since it turns slope=-1 to
> slope=0  it makes this kind of graph more readable. The two plots are

I agree very much with this. With PLL's, the -1 slope of ADEV tends to send the wrong message, that something is getting better and better over time. In fact, the PLL is simply working the same as it always was, within some fixed designed bandwidth, so the flattened plot is both more readable and maybe less prone to misinterpretation.

Note that you can get a similar benefit by plotting tau*ADEV(tau) instead of TDEV(tau). The advantage here is that you get the flat plot, but without the internal averaging that TDEV/MDEV performs.

Inside the ADEV formula is a divide by tau; it is this division that causes the -1 slope for PLL's as tau increases exponentially. So by computing tau*ADEV(tau) you effectively remove that division. The result is a simpler representation of PLL behavior as a function of interval.

Neither Stable32 or TimeLab support tau*ADEV(tau). It's uncommon enough I would not recommend either tool add this feature (and besides, John has pretty much used A-Z keys in TimeLab). But I added the feature to adev4 and adev5 (in www.leapsecond.com/tools/ directory) if you want to try them out on your data set.

/tvb