[time-nuts] Homemade GPS Receiver

Henry Hallam henry at pericynthion.org
Fri Sep 26 18:15:14 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 8:25 AM, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave
Ltd) <drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:
> As I say, without stating the properties of the receiving antenna,
> absolute power levels are not a sensible unit.

Indeed, there is an implicit assumption of a ~omnidirectional
(hemisphere-pattern) antenna, with a typical effective gain around 1
dBi.

Since the GPS signals come from all parts of the sky this is pretty
much required, unless you're using fancy beam steering techniques.

Perhaps slightly sloppy terminology but the meaning is clear, to me anyway :)

Henry