[time-nuts] SMTP with Trimble Thunderbolt-E

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 00:55:05 UTC 2014

The simple, cheap and easy what to do this is to get a cheap PC of any
kind.  Perhaps a 15 year old notebook PC.  Then connect the serial port on
the Thunderbolt to the serial port on the PC.  (This is a good reason to
buy a way-old PC notebook because those had real serial ports.   Lacking a
serial port, use a USB to serial dongle.)

Then install an OS like BSD or Linux on the PC and you are done.  You can
then manage the Thunderbolt by remotely logging into the PC and using a
terminal emulator to get to the serial port.  It's pretty simple and you
will likely find other things to connect to the PC or run on it, like maybe
NTP and use it for a low-end web or file server.  You can get a good enough
notebook cheap or a good enough desktop for free.

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 6:17 AM, Luc Gaudin <lgaudin at naelcom.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need to have remotely access to Trimble Thunderbolt-E to manage it.
> I first sort out the physical (network) parts to get the Serial port out
> on the network (unit CSE-H53N from Sollae Systems).
> For management I am looking to use SNMP.
> Is there any system capable to convert the serial information from the
> Trimble Thunderbolt to SNMP ?
> Some people are talking about proxy agent.
> Is any can help ?
>
> Best regards
>
> Luc Gaudin

Chris Albertson