[time-nuts] SMTP with Trimble Thunderbolt-E

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 15:00:18 UTC 2014

> Embedded Linux PCs such as Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone Black are cheap and
> can be configured with serial ports, but you may need hardware to stretch
> the PPS

Using a  Raspberry Pi or Beaglebone Black is a good idea.  Maybe better
than my idea to find an old PC notebook and put Linus or UNIX on it.  The
embedded boards cost less and use less power.  And I really doubt you'd
need the "stretch" a PPS because both boards run general purpose I/O lines
out to headers.  You don't have to send the PPS through the serial port if
you use a Raspberry Pi or Beaglebone Black.   You could remotely log into
the little embedded system using SSH and then do whatever you need to.

But both those embedded systems are ARM based.  You will not be able to run
Wine or a virtual PC on ARM so no Windows software can be used.

As for SNMP.  It looks like you'd have to write some software for that
yourself.  It is not hard to decode the binary data coming from the GPS
recover.  You can start with an open source TSIP reader then modify it to
send SNMP.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California