[time-nuts] GPS-disciplining an ordinary VCXO?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Sep 28 14:04:04 UTC 2014

Hi

A VCXO (as opposed to a TCVCXO) can have a pretty major temperature coefficient. The more the oscillator moves as the room temp varies, the wider your loop needs to be. Exactly how wide depends on a lot of things. Is it a problem if the radio unlocks when a draft blows in through the open window?  There are lots of things to think about / work out.

If your GPS module has a “couple of ns” jitter at one second, your VCXO will likely be moving by several ppb per second with a wide loop. With a more narrow loop and an OCXO, that problem will go away. Doing all the work to build a GPSDO into the radio seems like a waste if the radio is then hopping around worse with the GPS turned on than with it turned off.

Bob