[time-nuts] GPS-disciplining an ordinary VCXO?

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Mon Sep 29 17:50:58 UTC 2014

Hi Mark,

that really is up to you and your skill-set. I don't use FPGA's in products
 anymore because they are not field-serviceable generally, expensive,
usually  require some sort of recurrent registration of the compiler, the ones I
like  have external program storage so are not easily protected against
theft, and are  not needed if you have a good Microcontroller and a handful of
discrete gates. I  do use PLD's from time to time to do simple dividers etc.

But integrating everything into an FPGA for a one-off if you are versed at
programming them and know how to do IIR and FIR filters etc is a completely
 different story.

Lastly, there is no need to generate a DC signal with a 1-bit DAC
(sigma-delta, PWM etc) for a one-off design since there are very good and  low-cost
12 bit or 16 bit DAC's available. I would use two cheap 12 bit DAC's  (SPI
or better I2C) cascaded to give me 20+ bits equivalent DAC resolution.  Don't
forget that the DAC reference is just as important as the DAC, maybe even
more so for applications that will see larger temp variations.

As I said before we have discussed this subject on numerous occasions  over
the last decade in very great detail, you may want to search and read
through the archives - there is great detail on all of the above.

Nowadays you can get a great 10MHz OCXO on Ebay for $10, buy a
PLD/FPGA/Micro eval board for less than $30, and add a DAC and some low-pass  filtering
and voltage reference for probably less than $10. So you can do a
complete, high-end double-oven GPSDO for around $50.. Adding the Crystek VCXO  onto
an Analog Devices PLL eval board would give you the desired high-frequency,
low phase noise output.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 9/29/2014 10:36:14 Pacific Daylight Time,