[time-nuts] What sort of oscillator is this?

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Tue Sep 30 23:56:31 UTC 2014

On 30 Sep 2014 14:16, "Jim Lux" <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 9/30/14, 12:44 AM, REEVES Paul wrote:
>>
>> David,
>>
>> Just a thought but have you tried Pasternack? They do 'custom' precision
cabling including 2.4mm connector options.

>> regards,
>>
>> Paul,   G8GJA
>>
> Rather than Pasternack, you might find the following sources useful

I got a quote from Pasternack today. They can't do 20 GHz in SMA so
suggested 3.5 mm, which would be fine.  They actually quited for 2.92 mm on
the other end, whereas I need 2.4 mm, but the price was the US equivalent
of about $220/cable.

> Citrus Cables does nice quality, inexpensive work, and they have oddball
stuff like MMCX if you need it.  I use them for general purpose jumpers a
lot.
> http://www.citruscables.com or http://www.citruscables.biz

They don't seem to do the high precision stuff. They have things like BNC
and reverse SMA, but I don't see 2.4 mm.

> RFCoax - I use them for semi-rigid and formable type cables
> http://rfcoax.com

Someone else suggested them.

They do what I want,  and the price is much lower than Pasternack. $85-$95
depending on the length,  and that includes test data. I would feel a bit
happier paying $5 extra for test data.  Hopefully it means that they really
are tested!

They also do the really high frequency 1.0 mm connectors, so it gives me
some confidence that they are serious about cables.

> Tensolite (part of Carlisle)
> http://www.carlisleit.com/products/assemblies/rfmicrowave-assemblies
> Formable semirigid
>
> Axon
> http://www.axon-cable.com
> These guys are in the UK, and they have very low loss cable. I don't know
about one-off assemblies.

I will ask.

I am certain that this mod will degrade the dynamic range,  but when it was
calibrated,  it exceeded the spec by about 8 dB, so a bit of loss can be
tolerated.  But the benefits far outweigh that.

Dave.