[time-nuts] Striking change in iPhone time accuracy with 8.2

Reid Oda reid.oda at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 16:33:20 UTC 2015

Hi,

First email to the list here. I've been curious about this for a little
while: does the iPhone get sub-second timing info from GPS?

I did an experiment the other day where my friend and my iPhone clocks had
a fairly large offset, of perhaps 0.3 seconds. We were away from any
windows.

We went to a window, and watched as the Google maps location estimate got
to its most accurate setting. I assume the estimate accuracy is based on
the number of satellites the phone can see. Once we got this lock, the
clocks were then synchronized to within a few ms of each other. I estimate
8 ms, but our method (listening to ticks from a homemade app) was not ultra
accurate.

This seems to imply that the iPhone does get sub-second timing info from
GPS. Can anyone confirm/deny this?