[time-nuts] 53230A noise floor

jpbridge at aol.com jpbridge at aol.com
Fri Apr 3 21:22:17 UTC 2015

I've just been playing with my new (ex demo) fca3100 and the results seem dependent on setup.
(I'm not trying to hijack the thread from the 53230A but I think it is useful to have comparison results - I know I would have liked to see some prior to buying my counter.)

I have found that if I turn off the interpolation calibration then the std figures drop significantly at a bit of a cost in skew between channels.

Changing the impedance to 50 ohms from 1Mohm and doing the experiments with the instruments own pulse generator (though results with my separate pulse generator aren't hugely different) I get the following:

A->B no calib  std : 19 ps mean (1M) : 1.285 02 ns
A->B calib       std : 29 ps mean (1M) : 1.286 55 ns
B->A no calib  std : 20 ps mean (1M) : 1.298 00 ns
B->A calib       std : 31 ps mean (1M) : 1.292 63 ns

with this setup the difference between calib on and off is only -1.53 ps or + 4.63 ps (for other setups
it is rather larger).
The difference from A->B vs B->A is only 6 ps with calib on and 13 ps with calib off.

I don't know quite what to conclude from all this other than being careful about signal shape and matching and setting of trigger levels can improve results significantly.

Secondly, there seems to be a trade off between channel skew and single shot resolution - I have no idea why as I'm not sure what the interpolator calibration does -  but if this is general perhaps Keysight have geared the 53230A to give low single shot resolution at the expense of slightly higher channel skew.

James