[time-nuts] Mini-time lab cost and maintenance

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Apr 6 22:07:12 UTC 2015

Hi

What kind of gear do you already have? I’d guess a computer. Can it be / is it
part of the time lab?

What sort of background do you have (is equipment repair something you do)?
How about building stuff from scratch? Do you have soldering gear etc?

What sort of budget do you have? Is $100,000 “low level” or is $100 more in
the right range?

How patient are you? Is there a time line associated with this? In many cases
there is a “if you shop for 2 years” price and a “you can get it tomorrow price”. There
also are automated gizmos that do work for you. Spend less money on gear /  spend
more of your time doing stuff. What’s your time worth?

Is your end objective timing laser pulses / setting up watches / running a telescope?
Each end objective has it’s own priorities.

The problem is that I have a great set of ideas for exactly what you need. In reality,
since I know nothing about what you need, it’s a bunch of ideas for *my* needs.
Before we head off in entirely the wrong direction - what are you after? What
are your constraints?

Bob