[time-nuts] Mini-time lab cost and maintenance

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Apr 9 23:55:05 UTC 2015

Hi

I still believe we should wait for input from the original poster before we start spinning solutions.

If I have one very good watch, that might be fine for my needs to “know what time it is”.

For others, a minimum of three watches would be needed to cross check the time and be
confident that they both know the time and can put a bound on how well they know it.

Someone else could easily pop up and point out the three watches all from the same source,
even if they are good, are prone to drift the same way at the same time. They would suggest
that we need good watches from multiple sources.

This process can continue on for quite a while, with each added layer adding both cost and the
potential for improvement.

Without having some sort of bounds (which only the original requester can supply), the process it’s
self is an open loop servo. The only limits are the point at which smoothing saturates. That does
not lead to an accurate (or valid) solution, it just generates a lot of smoke.

=====

Does this equate to not wanting to help? Of course not. A number of list members have chimed in
with suggestions and questions. They have been doing so over several days. What’s missing is
not input from the list. The missing element is input from the person needing the help.

I’d certainly admit that we can be a scary bunch. I don’t think that in this case we have been overly
agressive about any of this. The conversation may have moved off list and the questions have all been
answered there. Who knows ...

Bob