[time-nuts] Tuning a Trimble Thunderbolt

Pete Stephenson pete at heypete.com
Tue Apr 21 08:23:13 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 12:08 AM, Bob Camp <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Expecting that unit to meet holdover after only being locked for 12 hours is not
> a reasonable thing.

So it would seem.

Perhaps I was being a bit optimistic for out-of-the-box performance:
the brochure listed the holdover specs but said nothing about how long
one needed to let it run before it was able to meet those specs. The
user guide hinted at it when it said that a 24 hour training period
was the minimum for good results (which I assumed to mean "will meet
the published specs") but earlier tests after 24 hours of being locked
to GPS didn't meet the spec either.

Obviously it needs more time to stabilize and train. Hopefully my
daughter doesn't eat it in the interim.

> Let it run for a week. Let it lock up for at least 4 or 5 days and get a good survey
> on the location. It should run < +/- 5ns one sigma with a good survey.

Will do. I'm doing the 48 hour survey now with LH.

Cheers!
-Pete

--
Pete Stephenson