[time-nuts] Leica AT-303

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Apr 23 11:47:32 UTC 2015

Hi

I guess it comes down to “how good is good enough?”

With any L1 only system, you are up against uncorrectable ionosphere numbers in the >=10 ns range. At 3 ns meter that is a  > 3 meter “variation”.

The ionosphere does tend to correlate with that big light in the sky, so averaging over multiple days can address it in a position solution. Your TBolt will still
wander around, since it’s loop time constant is  << 24 hours.

If you are trying to take 12 -2/+40 ns per day down to 10 -2/+40 ns per day, then sure a ~5 mm accurate position will be better than a ~1 M location. It’s doubtful
that there will be any measurable change in the TBolt’s output as a result.

For $100, sure it’s not an expensive thing to try. I ummm ….. errrr .. seem to have a room full of antennas. My point is *not* let’s not do this. The point is that
everybody does not need to run right out and go antenna crazy (like me). The TBolt works quite well on a proper outdoor timing antenna that has a very good
view of the sky.  Those antennas are nice and compact and sell for < $50.

Bob