[time-nuts] Important parameters for a GPS/GNSS antenna

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Apr 29 20:43:58 UTC 2015

Moin,

I recently discovered openEMS[1], which is, very simply put, a fancy
antenna simulator. I played a little with it and thought about
trying to optimize an GPS patch antenna design for timing use.

But I had to discover that I actually do not know what to optimze for.
There are many paramters I can think of (RHCP/LHCP, symmetry of
gain, feedpoint impedance vs frequency, stability of phase centre,....)
which all seem to be to some extend important, but which ones do actually
matter for the timing reference performance?

My google skills failed to locate any relevant documents on this topic.

Could someone be so kind and give me some pointers, what to search
for, documents or the like?

			Attila Kinali

[1] http://openems.de

--