[time-nuts] TrueTime AL-AK GPS receiver help

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Apr 30 21:58:19 UTC 2015

Hi

I guess the first question would be:

Are we sure it’s an AL-AK and not an XL-AK?

Past that it becomes a fairly involved process of, is it worth real money to get this up and running?

If we are talking about a $20 eBay find that is worth another $5 to have somebody else get it running, the
conversation is a real short one.

If the AL-AK has some inherent value (it’s a working GPS disciplined Cs  maybe) then putting a few hundred
dollars into checking it out and getting it running might make sense. If it’s like most of the parts from that
era, the delta between getting it checked and getting it running is pretty small.

Once you *do* have it running, what do you have?

1) Leap second problems
2) GPS year rollover problems
3) Tracking issues
4) A noisy receiver with very few correlators
5) Software support issues

This is an unusual box that is at least 20 years old. It *will* have at least some of the listed issues and
may have all of them. Fixing them will be impossible.

========

Why bring up all of the negatives? I for one have been sucked into this kind of thing a *lot* of times
in the past. Just a few more this or that and it’ll be running fine. Much better to figure out the likely
cost and outcome first. That’s *very* hard to do, and even harder to follow through on. If you can’t
do the work yourself, the cost isn’t just lost time. This can cost real cash.

Bob