[time-nuts] Data Collection for Allan Deviation

timeok at timeok.it timeok at timeok.it
Sat Aug 1 12:13:27 UTC 2015

Dear ZZ,

To measure phase noise or Allan deviation or other type of measure you need a Reference to compare the DUT, device under test.
This reference have to be better performances than the DUT we can suppose have to be ten time better than the DUT and in case of a GPSDO a good source can be a Caesium or a Maser.
To measure the AD I suggest an high resolution counter and the KE5FX software TIMELAB.
For the connections: reference connected to the external time base of the counter and the DUT connected to the input of the counter.A GPIB is necessary to connect the counter to a PC.

To have an idea on these measurements please see my setup on: http://www.timeok.it/files/time_and_frequency_house_standard_201r.pdf

I have not a Caesium or a Maser but some good HP5065A rubidium. They performance permit some interesting measurement on the GPSDO.

Ciao,
Luciano