[time-nuts] 3816A efc error

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Aug 1 17:40:33 UTC 2015

Hi

One way or the other it *thinks* the OCXO is off frequency. That could be for a number
of reasons. The most likely:

1) The OCXO really is off frequency.
2) The EFC is shorted internally and it’s not tuning (which shows up as 1 above)
3) The OCXO is not heating up (which shows up as 1 above)
4) The GPS is not putting out what it should (doubtful)
5) The frequency comparison “stuff” is broke (also doubtful)

Indeed, checking the OCXO with an accurate counter is a good starting point. Watch it
as it goes from turn on to the EFC error. That should give you a pretty good idea of what
is happening.

The OCXO in the 3816 sure *looks* like the one in the KS boxes. Last time I looked, you
could get one of them for $25 plus shipping. Yes that price may have changed by the time you
read this.

Bob