[time-nuts] A few questions about Tboltmon

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 15:19:53 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 7:16 PM, Chris Waldrup <kd4pbj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

>  But when I unplugged the AC power from the Thunderbolt and plugged it
> back in, I was back to six satellites.
>  I had thought that the GPS satellites I am able to see from my location
> are fixed 24/7. Do they move and different satellites come into view with
> rotation of the earth?
> I did a warm reset when I got up at 4:45 this morning and when I got home,
> four satellites were still green on Tboltmon. About an hour ago I went
> ahead and did a cold reset.
> I now have 6 satellites where the SV is green, and one with a yellow SV
> with a value of 7.0.

They are in 12 hour orbits.  Each satellite is visible twice for a few
hours each day.  But there are enough of them that a six channel receiver
should always see six and a 12 channel receiver should always see 12 unless
you have part of the sky blocked or some other problem with the antenna.

Can your antenna see the horizon in all directions 360 degrees?  What's the
gain of the antenna and how is it connected to the receiver (what kind of
cable and how long is it?)  Is the antenna getting power and the correct
number of volts?

I see the comment about the survey, that has more to do with accuracy then
seeing satellites.  But do let it run for a good long time before you
decide if it is working well or not.  Wait until after 12 hours then take a
look.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California