[time-nuts] wtd: WWVB info

John Allen john at pcsupportsolutions.com
Mon Aug 10 02:57:19 UTC 2015

Hi Jim -

You wrote:
At some point, multiproject wafers (like MOSIS) might become a hobby
product.  So far, it's in the "several kilobuck" minimum purchase, and,
as well, the tools aren't easy to come by. Or, more properly, good
design tools are expensive, tedious design tools are free.. you CAN
layout an IC for MOSIS with a ruler and and a quadrille pad.. get your
copy of Carver and Mead and have at it)

I assume that you mean Carver Mead and Lynn Conway, Introduction to VLSI System Design 1978.

I am enjoying this thread!

Regards, John Allen K1AE

> If you never have tried to keep an IC in production, there are some basic things
> that may not be very obvious:
>
> <snip>

There's always Rochester Electronics.. "leaders in the trailing edge"
(no kidding, that's their slogan)..

They buy old fabs, masks, etc, and keep producing small runs of older
parts.  For a price.

At some point, multiproject wafers (like MOSIS) might become a hobby
product.  So far, it's in the "several kilobuck" minimum purchase, and,
as well, the tools aren't easy to come by. Or, more properly, good
design tools are expensive, tedious design tools are free.. you CAN
layout an IC for MOSIS with a ruler and and a quadrille pad.. get your
copy of Carver and Mead and have at it)

For digital stuff, small boards with FPGAs or microcontrollers on them
are probably the sweet spot for small runs.

The same is not true for analog.