[time-nuts] I've designed a GPSDO, but how "good" is it?

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 21:22:35 UTC 2015

Nick, professional GPSDO's achieve precision much less than one 10MHz
count, by doing sub-nanosecond level time interval measurements between GPS
PPS and the OCXO-divided-by-10M-PPS. During initial lock there is some
software smarts to reset the divide-by-10M chain at the right point so the
initial lock is a bit more like a frequency lock rather than a phase lock -
these smarts also kick in if there is a substantial disturbance to phase to
be resolved (that substantial difference probably doesn't require a real
EFC correction but instead is some kind of glitch ridden over by going to
frequency lock.)

Google things like "z3801a tic" (tic = time interval converter) to see past
discussions about the state of the art a few decades ago.

Tim N3QE