[time-nuts] I've designed a GPSDO, but how "good" is it?

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Aug 17 08:16:39 UTC 2015

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 16:54:08 -0700
Nick Sayer via time-nuts <time-nuts at febo.com> wrote:

> > If I counted correctly, you have a maximum offset of 350ns. For GPSDOs
> > that are close to each other, that's a quite considerable shift of phase.
> > Are you sure your software implements a phase locked loop and not a
> > frequency locked loop?
>
> The firmware is at: https://github.com/nsayer/GPS-disciplined-OXCO
>
> I’d be hard pressed to see how it’s anything other than an FLL.
> There’s no phase comparator. I’m counting how many system clock cycles
> happen between PPS rising edges. That’s it.

Without having had a look at your code (sorry, i currently don't have
the time for this), if you trully implemented just an FLL, then this
is where you should start from. The way to get a PLL is to let the counter
of the capture unit run freely. Don't reset it, just let it wrap around.
The PPS pulse will now be wandering in each period, so you have to track
where you would expect the PPS next (unless you set the counter such,
that its wrap around divides a second evenly). Doing this, you will
integrate over the frequency difference and thus get a phase comparator.

For additional goodnes: steer the PPS such, that half of the time
you get a counter value a and the other half of the time a counter value a+1.
By doing this, you will use the sawtooth of the GPS module as dithering
for your counter, and thus increase the resolution when you average.

Assuming no hanging bridges, this will get you below 1ppb at taus >200-500s,
if you keep the TCXO stable enough, otherwise deviations due to temperature
shifts and supply voltage changes will dominate.

If this is good enough, I would leave it at that. If not, then first
thing would be a respin of the board with a seperate supply for the
DAC and TXCO using a modern, low noise, high PSRR LDO (have a look at
what TI came up with in the last 10 years, these are usually a good choice)

If that is still not enough, put a plastic cap over the TCXO.
If still not enough, glue a transistor on top of the TCXO with a
temp sensor (e.g. an 1k NTC) and use that to stabilize the TCXO
temperature to a few °C (you should have no trouble to get
to <0.1°C though). Have a look at the ham radio literature how
this poor mans OCXO is done. There it is (was?) pretty much standard.

If this still doesn't get you to well below 1ppb @tau=500s, then something
is screwed up in the implentation.

If you want get to 1ppb at shorter taus, then you will need to implement
a better TIC. Richard McCorkle's PICTIC-II is a good starting point.
IIRC He once told me that he got down to 30ps with an external 14bit ADC
(less noise and higher stability than the on chip ADCs found in uCs).
According to Bruce Griffiths, the right choice for the ADC is to use
an SAR. Analog and Ti are AFAIK the best choices here.

If we assume that you get to 100ps, then you will be able to reach
1ppb at taus in the range of 10s to 100s (ie the limiting factor will
be the GPS module). And of course, you will then need to do proper sawtooth
correction (i hope your module provides that, if not, choose a different one)

				Attila Kinali

--
I must not become metastable.
Metastability is the mind-killer.