[time-nuts] I've designed a GPSDO, but how "good" is it?

Nick Sayer nsayer at kfu.com
Wed Aug 19 00:44:32 UTC 2015

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 18, 2015, at 4:42 PM, Charles Steinmetz <csteinmetz at yandex.com> wrote:
>
> Nick wrote:
>
>> I believe I'm at or better than the stability I originally sought. Part 1 of my question is whether that's actually true or whether my naivety is presenting me with a delusion. Part 2 is whether the price point at which I've arrived will support the level of stability I've achieved, or am I delusional in thinking people would or should pay what I'm asking for what I'm offering.
>> 10^-9 was the target all along. Question number two that I came with was whether or not it was reasonable to ask $175 for 10^-9.
>
> From your description, I doubt that you have achieved 1e-9 from 1S to 1000S (the range of primary interest for frequency and TI counters) -- but I'll defer on that point until Tom reports on its performance.
>
> As to question 2 (assuming that your GPSDO *does* exhibit stability of 1e-9 from 1S to 1000S):
>
> There may be people who would pay $150 or even $175, but in my view that is only because they do not know how it performs and what other GPSDOs are available and how they perform.  For starters, consider these:

Well, that all puts the nail in the coffin, then. If better ones are cheaper, then I am wasting my time. I don't know how I missed them when I was searching for one a few weeks ago. All I found were manufactures not listing actual prices and eBay listings for used ones.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback - of all sorts.