[time-nuts] wtd: WWVB info

Alexander Pummer alexpcs at ieee.org
Fri Aug 21 03:31:28 UTC 2015

it looks like somebody already made a decoder for a wwvb like
transmission, see here:

  Performance Analysis and Receiver Architectures of DCF77
  Radio-Controlled Clocks

  *
    Daniel Engeler
    Daniel Engeler
    <researcher/75928367_Daniel_Engeler>

Zuhlke Engineering AG, Schlieren, Switzerland.
IEEE transactions on ultrasonics, ferroelectrics, and frequency control
<journal/1525-8955_IEEE_transactions_on_ultrasonics_ferroelectrics_and_frequency_control>
(Impact Factor: 1.5). 05/2012; 59(5):869-84. DOI: 10.1109/TUFFC.2012.2272
Source: PubMed <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22622972>

*ABSTRACT* DCF77 is a long-wave radio transmitter located in Germany.
Atomic clocks generate a 77.5-kHz carrier which is amplitude- and
phase-modulated to broadcast the official time. The signal is used by
industrial and consumer radio-controlled clocks. DCF77 faces competition
from the Global Positioning System (GPS) which provides higher accuracy
time. Still, DCF77 and other long-wave time services worldwide remain
popular because they allow indoor reception at lower cost, lower power,
and sufficient accuracy. Indoor long-wave reception is challenged by
signal attenuation and electromagnetic interference from an increasing
number of devices, particularly switched-mode power supplies. This paper
introduces new receiver architectures and compares them with existing
detectors and time decoders. Simulations and analytical calculations
characterize the performance in terms of bit error rate and decoding
probability, depending on input noise and narrow-band interference. The
most promising detector with maximum-likelihood time decoder displays
the time in less than 60 s after power-up and at a noise level of
E(b)/N(0) = 2.7 dB, an improvement of 20 dB over previous receivers. A
field-programmable gate array-based demonstration receiver built for the
purposes of this paper confirms the capabilities of these new
algorithms. The findings of this paper enable future high-performance
DCF77 receivers and further study of indoor long-wave reception.

The DCF77 has very similar modulation scheme as the new wwvb, therefore
the methode used to decode the DCF77 could be used --perhaps with some
modifications -- to decode the phase modulation of the wwvb also
74
KJ6UHN
Alex