[time-nuts] "Vanguard Ultra precision Golden Oscillator"

Bill Byrom time at radio.sent.com
Sun Aug 23 22:07:04 UTC 2015

I can't imagine that anyone would trust some "0.1 ppm" specification
just because an unknown party stamped that on the case. There are many
sellers of very similarly marked oscillators. They all are selling in
single quantities for about the same price. The market seems to be
hobbyists, especially audio fanatics who want to reduce the jitter in
their audio gear. Since no reputable manufacturer would purchase such
gray market parts with zero reputation (no known manufacturer of the
item), nobody will be performing incoming inspection on these devices.
So nobody knows what they are getting - if they install it and it isn't
on frequency how would the buyer know what was wrong?

Notice that there does not appear to be a "Vanguard" oscillator company
or trade name used by some other manufacturer. The units are not marked
with a model number. There is no real datasheet or specifications. There
is no description of what the "0.1 ppm" refers to, but it's printed
right there on the case so it appears to be an attempt to give the
product some type of "quality".

The obviously flouting of eBay and international customs regulations
also shows the lack of trust you should have in that seller.
> Shipping invoice will be declared with low value and mark as 'gift' or
> 'samples'

See the eBay rules:
> http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/international-shipping-rules.html
> "Note: It's illegal to falsify customs declarations or mark an item as
> a "gift" in order to avoid customs fees. If a buyer asks you to commit
> customs fraud, report it to us."

If the seller is faking custom forms, how do you know that anything they
say is true?
--
Bill Byrom N5BB