[time-nuts] monitoring NTP servers?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Aug 26 14:36:05 UTC 2015

Hi all,
Is there a ready made set of scripts for monitoring a bunch of NTP servers?
Preferably for generic unix/linux like ubuntu.

I imagine it would look something like:
1. measure data with a test machine, either use output of "ntpq -p" or
perhaps python and ntplib. Variable measurement interval, perhaps 60s or so.
2. store relevant data into RRDTool database (offsets, delay, jitter, etc)
3. produce graphs with RRDGraph, and possibly Alarms (e-mail?) if a server
goes offline or way out of sync.

thanks,
Anders

Anders,

I have some notes here:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/NTPandMRTG.html

which I use (Perl and MRTG) on Windows to produce graphs like:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp.php
  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp-pn.php

for both Windows and Linux systems (and FreeBSD before that).

Perhaps the notes will be of use?

I also have a program to plot loopstats etc.
  http://www.satsignal.eu/software/net.htm#NTPplotter

and a simple (non-precision) monitoring program for multiple servers:
  http://www.satsignal.eu/software/net.htm#NTPmonitor

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu