[time-nuts] SRS PRS10 repair

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Aug 26 16:27:17 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 08/26/2015 06:28 AM, Brian M wrote:
> Hi -
>
> So I took the time tonight to poke at things with the scope. Hopefully it
> will be of interest.
>
> First off, I probed the MCU (MC68HC11) TX line directly. And, it looks like
> I misstated in my last mail. The MCU itself is 5V TX idle TTL Serial. On
> the unit's output, it is inverted and 0V idle. Not sure why that's the
> case...

It's because you go through a 74HC14 inverter, see sheet 3 of 7 in the
PRS-10 schematics. This is expected, as RS-232 has an inverted level.

However, when a serial interface get's garbled data like if it is
inverted, then I am wondering if the 0V recoil makes the receiver
confused, as 0V isn't a valid voltage in RS-232 unless you want to send
break.

> That said, I have lashed up some simple NPN inverters which are also
> level-shifting to a BBB UART. And with that I've got serial comms
> established. I get the power-on message and response from "ID ?" is "
> PRS10_3.24_SN_[....]"

Good. The level issue that I suspected.

> Thanks again to all for their input. Always more to learn =)

Indeed, always.

Cheers,
Magnus