[time-nuts] Chinese GPSDO 10 MHz error

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Aug 28 02:59:42 UTC 2015

Hi

At the most basic level:

FLL is frequency locked. Consider a lock system driven by an FM discriminator. (That’s
how the idea originally was done.) The output of the detector is a voltage proportional to the
frequency error.  With a simple loop (gain only / no integrator) you have a static frequency
error. More gain gets you less frequency error.

PLL is a phase locked loop. A system with a DBM running as a detector is an old school
way to do this. The output of the detector is proportional to the phase difference. With a simple loop
(gain only, no integrator) you have a static phase error. More gain gets you less phase error
and possibly stability issues.

If you add an integrator to either control loop, things get more complicated. If you go further than that they
get you into a lot of debates :) The distinction between the two is much easier to see when each is paired
with a simple loop.

Bob