[time-nuts] GPSDO energy consumption question(s)

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Aug 29 00:29:15 UTC 2015

Hi

The GPSTM (and similar) have at least one other “fatal flaw” compared to the TBolt -
You can not tune the filter (control loop) parameters. That locks you in to the “big hump”
Trimble ADEV that their default settings create.

If I was stuck on a solar battery stack, I think I’d prefer the GPSTM’s wide range switcher
over the linear regulators that are needed to make a TBolt run nicely :)

There is always the possibility that another “wave” of TBolts might show up. I doubt they
will drop back to the $120 range again. It looks like something around 2X to 3X that is now the
going rate. Who knows …..

Bob