[time-nuts] RG 6 U couplings

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Dec 5 21:48:19 UTC 2015

Bert,

Extending the RG-6U using N-connectors should not be giving you more
than 0.20 dB, probably less. Considering that you have have 6.12 dB per
100 feet in RG-6U at 1 GHz (should be about 8 dB @ 1.575 GHz), so it
will be more. Using N-connectors to extend the cable-stretch isn't going
to be a major issue, it may be the cable length that could present an issue.

I've been fighting these issues, and used too long cable at hand (RG-58
is a terrible choice but was lying around at the time). I use LMR-400
these days, giving me about 5.1 dB per 100 feet.

If cable and connector damping causes you harm, then consider installing
an additional LNA inline with the antenna.

Hope it sort itself out for you.

Cheers,
Magnus