[time-nuts] GPSDO and oscillator steering - EFC vs DDS schemes?

Azelio Boriani azelio.boriani at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 18:36:37 UTC 2015

Given that until now good (maximum stability) OCXO are much less than
100MHz, from the OCXO we exploit its high stability and we impose
accuracy from a coordinated source: the OCXO+EFC method uses the
built-in stability and disciplines the accuracy.
The DDS method virtually can start from any oscillator, apply a
suitable correction function giving the same result, transferring the
hardware characteristic of a BVA (for example) into the driving
function.
Can a DDS be driven with the speed necessary to correct the output so
that it results in the same stability as a BVA, starting from a given
unstable oscillator?
Or, how much unstable can be the 100MHz starting oscillator so that I
can obtain after the DDS+suitable_driving_function  the same final
stability as an ordinary 10MHz OCXO?