[time-nuts] GPSDO and oscillator steering - EFC vs DDS schemes?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 10 05:31:09 UTC 2015

>> (ADEV of 4E-16 at tau of 1000 seconds is a typical state of the art requirement)
>
> …. and has been since the 1970’s when I first started talking with JPL people about this :)….

They've gotten a lot smaller and probably draw less power since then.

There's also the testing problem: proving that it has that performance
is no easy matter.

It might well be that you could build a better one, but that other
errors in the whole ranging measurement might dominate (movement of the
antenna on Earth, etc.)

There's a lot of activity centered around making good flight atomic
clocks with trapped Hg ions.  Those would essentially instantly improve
over the USO.

> ====
>
> All that said, the real question is — can you change the fabrication of the crystal in ways that improve it’s stability by
> tuning a long way with DDS rather than a short way with reactance (select parts plus varicap(s)).

The DDS synthesis thing is nice because you can, to a certain extent,
control where the spurs and noise are (at the cost of increased logic
complexity, but that's essentially free, these days), and you can open
up a trade space on crystals.  You don't have to have certain "special"
frequencies.