[time-nuts] Lessay and Soutons French LORAN Stations Shutting Down

Iain Young iain at g7iii.net
Fri Dec 11 17:23:00 UTC 2015

On 11/12/15 15:50, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> Yes, the Austron (at least the one I ran back in the 80’s) really does not care if it has a master or not.
> If you want traceability of the signal, it needs the master.

Ah great.
> Navigation wise, the slaves become useless once the master for that chain goes off the air. Unless
> there is a new master set up, the slaves will be shutting down fairly soon.

Anthorn is eLORAN anyway and thus backwards compatible time wise, so
won't be going away any time soon - In fact the UK Government is
strongly pro eLORAN, so all is not quite lost. Maybe Anthorn will just
become a master.

Sylt is joint funded by the UK, Germany, and France, so hopefully that
will continue, or even switch to master on 6371 as well as 7499

Iain