[time-nuts] FE 405/5680/5650 caution !!!!

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Sat Dec 12 18:43:25 UTC 2015

Shortly after joining time-nuts on Corby's recommendation I announced that
I wanted to build a complete Dual Mixer for less than $ 200. Richard
McCorkle  offered to help me with the code for the counters. After completion we
started  talking about GPSDO's which I had previously worked with Brooks
Shera on. We did  an extensive methodical review of the system and discovered
serious problems  with the the AD1861  when used in a filter application. We
tested many D/As  and switched to the LTC1655. Explored dithering.
During that work a German friend that I work with on a different subject
made me aware of the FE5680. At the price I bought a couple and was surprised
at  its performance.  Though they had been in Europe for a couple of years
I  had not seen any thing on time-nuts. I published my observations. At the
same  time we started work on a digital controller Richard the code and the
rest of us  testing and analysis. A year in to the program I discovered the
FE 405 on ebay  and bought 4 for the team. Early on I noticed outstanding
performance that was  later confirmed by Tom. Focus was shifted to the 405.
After many iterations we now have a Universal GPSDO based on which PIC we
insert.  Works on the FE405, Skip's 5650 and the 5680 that every body
bought out of China. Some time nuts have run units for over a year and I feel
comfortable to have Cash build, test and sell the units soon. Units he  build
are presently being tested. We are also assembling a documentation  package
that will be on his web site.
Depending what the interest is there also will be an auxiliary board for
the 405 with a divider and output filter for 5 MHz, DC/DC converter,
regulators  and a PIC for display purposes. This board will not be assembled but
comes with  two MC output transformers since small purchase will not be
economical. All  other parts will be readily available.
An analog temperature control board, board only will also be  available.
All boards a 5 X 5 cm and stack able.
There was talk about a digital fan control hope some one will step up to
the plate.
Hope this answers your question.
Bert Kehren

In a message dated 12/12/2015 11:00:46 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,