[time-nuts] modification Lucent RFTG

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Sun Dec 13 11:00:41 UTC 2015

Joerg,

This looks like a very useful mod on a unit that many of us have. I'm
not aware of any schematics available for these, so I guess you have
reverse-engineered the "black"  part of the schematic that you provided.
-- Nice work!

Having said that, may I offer some minor criticism (constructive and
positive, I hope) of your document?

The schematic you provided shows the key transistors as Q1 and Q2. In
the text you refer to Q208 and Q209 (which I think are marked on the
board). From the description, I think Q1 = Q208 and Q2 = Q209. It would
be nice if the schematic had the Q-numbers changed, or at least, you
mentioned the equivalence in your text.

(Trivial) Aren't you using an existing SMA connector for your output?
So, maybe it should be black in the schematic.

Your picture of the board rework is pretty low resolution; even zooming
into it just gives bigger blurry image. You have added some annotations
but they are in red over the green board color. Combined with the low
resolution they are very hard to read. I'm pretty sure they remain in
German in the English version too.

My suggestions:
     - Edit the schematic to change the Q-numbers to match the board and
text, or at least give the equivalence in the text.
     - Use a higher resolution picture and make the annotations more
readable with different color or background shading.
     - The picture you provide is "after". It would be nice to also have
"before". If you don't have a before picture, I or some other member
could probably take one.
     - Consider having picture annotations in English for the English
version.

I think what you have done is great. I just think the sharing document
could be improved to make it easier for others to duplicate.

If you like, I could possibly help make a more readable annotated
picture if you can provide me a higher res picture of the board. Just an
offer to help if you would consider my suggestions. I think you will see
my email in my post.

-Rex   KK6MK