[time-nuts] Phase noise from Allan Deviation ?

Anders Wallin anders.e.e.wallin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 07:10:18 UTC 2015

>From PN to ADEV you integrate under the PN-curve with a certain
weighting-function. This paper shows the weighting function:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/6308454_Considerations_on_the_measurement_of_the_stability_of_oscillators_with_frequency_counters

to go the other way around you would indeed have to assume the shape of the
PN-curve, such as the Leeson model or similar. This is quite an assumption
and probably best avoided.

What you want to do is rather than mix down to 1Hz instead mix down to
maybe 1 kHz...200 kHz or so - stream all those phase-samples to the
computer, and compute the PN as the PSD of the phase data.
As an aside I've found that FFT (e.g. Stable32 uses this) sometimes gives
funny PSD results, and the Welch-method (periodogram) is more robust.

Anders