[time-nuts] SMD TADD-1 distribution amplifier

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Tue Dec 22 23:13:34 UTC 2015

My point was that the PN performance of a device (eg OPA355) with largish
flicker noise can sometimes be a bit better than one might naively expect. The
OPA355's flicker voltage noise is 30dB worse than some wideband bipolar opamps.

Note: I don't recommend this particular fixed gain opamp for critical
applications because its PN floor is relatively high (a bit below -160dBc/Hz
with 10 dBm 10MHz input). I originally intended to use it to buffer the output
of a ringing parallel LC circuit. However a good discrete enhanced CB stage
may also suffice.

The state of the art PN noise for an isolation amp as well as most of the MMIC
devices in Wenzel's amplifier list appears to be around -150dBc/Hz.

It would be useful to have PN plots available for various amplifiers including
some with high flicker noise for comparison purposes.

I can provide some of these.
My instrumentation noise floor (@10MHz) is below -200dBc/Hz if I use the
interferometer.
The corresponding instrument PN floor is around -170dBc/Hz @1Hz (limited
primarily by the splitter PN).
Each measurement typically takes 12 hours or so to achieve this flicker PN
performance.

If I were to find the space for a couple of 10MHz Wilkinson splitters it may be
possible to lower the instrumentation flicker PN to below -170dBc/Hz.

Bruce