John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Wed Feb 4 20:23:18 UTC 2015

Hi Bill --

I've been quietly observing this thread because I don't have the
knowledge to talk about the doubler circuit generally.

But the crystal filter is, in my opinion, a really bad idea.  Any
resonator is ultimately a thermometer, and a high-Q device on the output
of the circuit is going to make it suffer badly from temperature-related
phase shift.  After all, that's why we put crystal oscillators in
(sometimes double) ovens.

When I designed the TADD-1 distribution amp, I allowed for an optional
LC bandpass filter to be fitted, and I've regretted that ever since.
Even a relatively low-Q BPF made the tempco of the board orders of
magnitude worse.

Notch filters for the problem frequencies are a much better idea.

73,
John
----