[time-nuts] TimeLab with Wine: No RS232 interface available

joerg wurstkniffte at web.de
Wed Feb 4 20:49:48 UTC 2015

Hello,

I would like to ask some advice about running TimeLab under Linux with Wine.
The program starts well (at least I guess), but no RS232 interface is found
in the acquire window. I tried the com port of my notebooks docking station,
a PCMCIA to RS232 converter and 3 different USB to RS232 cables.
This is what I did:

> dmesg | grep tty
to find the devices and
> setserial -g /dev/ttyS[0123456789]
to see the details of the ports on docking station and PCMCIA card respectively
> setserial -g /dev/ttyUSB[0123456789]
for details on the RS232 ports of the USB adapters.

Then under   ~/.wine/dosdevices   I created links:
> ln -s /dev/ttySx comz
for the the ports on docking station and PCMCIA card respectively
> ln -s /dev/ttyUSBx comz
for the USB adapters with x and z in place of adequate numbers.

Then I modified ~/.wine/system.reg
[Hardware\\Devicemap\\Serialcomm] 12345678
"Serial0"="COM1"
"Serial1"="COM2"
etc.Also I tried:
"COM1"="COM1"
[Software\\Microsoft\\Windows NT\\CurrentVersion\\Ports] 12345678
"COM1:"="19200,n,8,1"
"COM2:"="9600,n,8,1"
etc.

The windows terminal program HTerm under Wine sees all the COM ports
I tried and is able to communicate on all of them. Also on Linux
itself all tested serial ports are available and functional (tested
with Putty). But TimeLab shows no COM port, the "Available Interfaces"
window is empty. Has anybody succeeded with TimeLab and RS232 under
Wine and can give a hint? I have no USB to GPIB adapter, so I can't
test if this would work. OS is OpenSUSE 13.1.

Thanks in advance
Joerg