[time-nuts] T.I. questions

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Fri Feb 6 18:29:46 UTC 2015

Bill,

A technique similar to this is used in the HP5328A counter, when
equipped with the option 040, and when doing the TI averaging.
Noise is intentionally added into the 100 MHz control loop, and then
multiple measurements is averaged. This way, the sample point moves
around it's average, and you can get better average resolution this way.

However, the single-shot resolution is still just 10 ns.

Since then interpolation of single-shot events have been investigated,
and is now down to 200 fs in the best counter I know of (and have).

Cheers,
Magnus