[time-nuts] GPS active antenna delay ?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun Feb 8 16:35:23 UTC 2015

OK, so I had an HP 58535A two-port GPS splitter handy and put it on the
VNA.  It clearly has a filter of some sort, as shown by the S21
frequency response.  The delay at the center of the passband is about
21ns, and it increases to about 26ns at the edges.

That delay consists of the physical length of the signal path in the
splitter, plus the effects of a 6dB amplifier, SAW filter, and a hybrid
2-way splitter.

The noise in the delay plot is because I had to avoid overdriving the
splitter amp, so the input signal was 40dB lower than normal for the
VNA.  Thus the analyzer receivers had pretty weak signals to work with
(and I didn't do anything heroic to compensate, other than use a large
averaging factor plus smoothing).

I don't know how applicable this would be to the circuit in an antenna.
  I suspect the biggest difference might be due to the higher gain amp
in the antenna vs. 6dB in the splitter.