[time-nuts] Newbie question

Mike Monett timenuts at binsamp.e4ward.com
Sun Feb 15 22:11:13 UTC 2015

>>Hi Time-Nuts:
>>Not sure what the protocol is here but I'll just jump in.
>
>>I've just purchased an HP53310a modulation domain analyzer. Most you already know that these amazing instruments are basically a TIC with a graphic display of frequency vs time. I've always wanted one to record PLL settling time. I also know they are pretty non-intuitive to setup and use. Now that I have one I'd like to connect with someone that has experience using them.
>
>>Anyone?
>
>>Best Regards to the group.
>
>>Stuart Rumley

[...]

>You can monitor the VCO DC error voltage to look for risetime and ringing
>problems. To monitor settling time, trigger the scope on the frequency
>switch, delay out to the desired region, and display the reference and VCO
>signals to the phase detector added together. If you use a triggered delay
>you can step from one cycle to the next and watch the signals align
>themselves.
>
>Depending on the skill of the designer, the PLL may exhibit jumps in phase
>during settling due to crosstalk, or many other kinds of nasties at
>different points in the phase relationship. If he did not monitor the PLL
>settling during development, there will likely be things you may not like.

>Bottom line is I much prefer looking at the VCO DC error and the inputs to
>the phase detector rather than trying to investigate these problems with
>the 53310A. The actual waveforms give a lot more information to work with.

>Mike Monett

One thing I did not mention is you can see things in the VFO DC error and
phase jumps that do not show up in the 53310A. These can be serious and
need to be addressed.

Since there are many ways of making better measurements than the 53310A can
provide, I will sell my unit on eBay. The prices can reach $3,795.00, but I
will be happy with much less. Here are the current listings:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=hp+53310a&_sop=16

One thing that is very important is proper packaging for shipment. Here are
some urls that discuss how to package heavy instruments for shipment. Sorry
for the wrap:

http://www.prc68.com/I/Pack.shtml
http://gemmary.blogspot.ca/2007/07/how-to-pack-expensive-antique.html
http://www.astromart.com/articles/article.asp?article_id=63
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/how_to.html
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/how_to2.html
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/how_to3.html
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/how_to4.html
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines.html
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/weight_size.html
http://www.prc68.com/I/SWCC2.shtml#mickiecat1
http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5991-0392EEE.pdf

In addition, for those who are terrified by having to use Paypal due to the
possibility of having your account and funds locked, it is no longer a
requirement to use Paypal on eBay. You can use various credit card services
such as Merchantinc, and specify on your eBay page that you do not accept
Paypal.

https://www.merchantinc.com/

For example, see the Payments: Visa/MasterCard, Discover entry on

http://cgi.ebay.com/161599376831

No Paypal. Problem solved.

So get out that old scope and microwave attenuator and make some money!

Mike Monett