[time-nuts] GPS active antenna delay ?

Tom Holmes tholmes at woh.rr.com
Wed Feb 18 20:43:54 UTC 2015

HI Tom...

Good to see you getting into Time-Nuttery!

How accurately do you need to know the delay? For absolute time, it is important, but it doesn’t really help much with position since the calculation doesn't know which direction your receiver is located from the antenna. For a time-base it probably doesn’t matter much either; the PPS will simply be out of sync with 'real' seconds. The above comments will likely get me chewed up by the gnat's-eyelash crowd but that's how we mere mortals learn.

My first guess on the prop delay of the antenna would be the reciprocal of the bandwidth, but that is just a shot at getting into the ballpark. No doubt it varies over the BW and the amplifier adds a bit. Which leads back to how accurately do you need to know.

I have some ideas for helping you out with the measurements if you want to contact me off list. My TAPR email will work just fine.

Tom Holmes, N8ZM