[time-nuts] WWVB receivers obsolete!?

Son VoBa (Sync-n-Scale) VoBaS at sync-n-scale.com
Wed Feb 18 22:05:28 UTC 2015

>From the WWVB web page <http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/wwvb.cfm> :

Enhanced WWVB Broadcast Format Change

Since October 29, 2012 at 1500 UTC (9:00 AM MDT), NIST Radio Station WWVB has been broadcasting a phase modulated (PM) time code that has been added to the legacy AM/pulse-width-modulation signal. This enhancement to the broadcast, which has been tested throughout 2012, provides significantly improved performance in new products that are designed to receive it. Existing radio-controlled clocks and watches are not affected by this enhancement and continue to work as before.

Disciplined oscillator products that track and lock to the 60 kHz WWVB carrier and were designed to work as frequency standards, will not work with the PM signal and have become obsolete. Radio-controlled clocks that are based on synchronous AM demodulation (lock to the carrier), such as the Spectracom NetClock and receivers manufactured by True Time during the 1970s and 1980s, have also become obsolete.

For more information, contact Broadcast Manager John Lowe:  <mailto:john.lowe at nist.gov> john.lowe at nist.gov or 303-497-5453.