[time-nuts] homebrew counter new board test result

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Wed Feb 25 14:58:53 UTC 2015

Li Ang wrote:

>I have some LT1016 in hand, I will evaluate with it.

I know it is tempting to use what is in hand rather than source new
parts, but for squaring 10MHz the LT1719 and LT1720 are much better
suited than the LT1016.  They have internal hysteresis, which makes
them much easier to apply, and they are more than twice as fast as
the 1016 (4 to 4.5nS vs. 10nS), which is a real consideration at
10MHz (50nS half-period).  The 1016 is quite fussy -- even with good
construction techniques and bypassing, they tend to oscillate and
exhibit other funny behaviors.  I think you will find that using the
LT1719 or LT1720 gives much better results.

Best regards,

Charles