[time-nuts] New Years Eve TV countdown

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jan 1 07:23:19 UTC 2015

The local ABC network affiliate WJLA in Washington DC was approximately 4
seconds behind WWV in their on-screen countdown clock for New Year's eve.
The
local NBC affiliate's clock was about 8 seconds late when I checked them at
two minutes before midnight. Happy New Year!

Dan Schultz N8FGV
====================================

Dan,

I think you just illustrated the delays in digital TV transmission.  When
watching events from abroad (e.g. F1 races) where precise timing is
available, I typically see a delay of 7-8-9-10 seconds, depending on the
location.  That is likely a delay to the studio, and then delay through Sky
satellite TV.  The BBC here no longer shows a clock, perhaps partially for
that reason.

At least there was no leap -second to confuse things!

Happy New Year!

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu