[time-nuts] New Years Eve TV countdown

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Jan 1 19:15:34 UTC 2015

Chuck,

In digital times, the main reason for creating delays is due to the
temporal compression of MPEG-2 and MPEG-4. Production quality is either
not compressed or JPEG-2000 compressed. If you do not compress at all,
delay structure can be similar to that of analog video days. JPEG-2000
typically requires the full frame to be grabbed before serious crunching
can be done, due to the 2D wavelet processing. There exists low-delay
compression schemes which is in the handful of lines (about 16) of
delay. MPEG-2 requires a re-arraning of transmission order in order for
the IBBBPBBBP... sequence requires the I (or preceeding P) and following
P be sent before the B frames interpolating between them.

Add that many buffer management systems is horrible, especially when
going over IP.

Doing long distance (22500 km) 4K uncompressed video has been done with
only 750 ms delay. That delay is probably trimable if you really need to.

The one feature you have with digital video, is that you can create
delays by mistake so easy, and that is gravely misused feature to this
day. Let's say that most systems does not impress me.

Cheers,
Magnus