[time-nuts] Any reason not to use one power amplifier and splitter for distribution amplifier?...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Tue Jan 6 01:04:51 UTC 2015

I assume you're talking about splitting the 10 MHz signal from a
reference source. I used to use a video amp but it developed problems
after about 30 years of use. I started looking at other video amps
and along the way I started to use a passive TV type 6-way splitter,
the type in a solid metal case with F-Connectors. This has actually
worked quite well and my various counters as well as my HP-3586B and
HP-3336A are happy with the levels. At the moment I don't recall the
output level of my DATUM 9390-52054 receivers, but it's quite healthy
and when I was using a Video DA I had to put a 10 dB pad on the input
to keep from frying the innards. A passive splitter may not be the
best way to distribute my "House Reference", but it works well, and
really, that's all I want.

I use a 6 spigot version of
this:  http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=SKY23308&ss=412546

Burt, K6OQK

At 03:30 PM 1/5/2015, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote
>Happy New Years All! I have seen a number of discussions on various
>approaches to distribution amps discussed on Time-Nuts ranging from
>DYI to products intended for Video.
>I thought I my weigh in with one point of interest; It seems like
>long term performance is pretty easy, but a low phase noise solution
>is quite a different story. Looking at the number of application
>specific products from MicroSemi/Symmetricom and other manufactures
>claimed and even more so real world specs vary a great deal so
>apparently it s not easy to just throw something together with great
>or even good close in phase noise.  So depending on your labs
>direction in the future it may be worth researching and investing in
>an application specific distribution amp. I like the MicroSemi 4036B
>but there are a number of very good products out there on the
>surplus market selling for a small fraction of their original cost.
>Cheers;
>Thomas Knox
>

> > From: bill.riches at verizon.net
> > To: time-nuts at febo.com
> > Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2015 08:29:34 -0500
> > Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Any reason not to use one power
> amplifier and        splitter for distribution amplifier?
> >
> > A cheap and dirty equivalent of a pass thru terminator that I use
> is a BNC t
> > connector with a 52 ohm bnc terminator.  I guess you could use a
> CATV 75 ohm
> > F type with an adapter. Maybe that combination would produce too much
> > garbage.
> >
> > 73,
> >
> > Bill, WA2DVU
> > Cape May