[time-nuts] Any reason not to use one power amplifier and splitter for distribution amplifier?

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Thu Jan 8 10:03:37 UTC 2015

Dave wrote:

>Yes, but I was aware of this, and that's why I got two different isolation
>figures.

What I was pointing out is that there will be *4* different isolation
figures from any one output port, not just two.  The lowest will be
to the one electrically adjacent output, next (a bit higher) will be
to two outputs at one remove, then (a bit higher yet) to four outputs
twice removed, and finally (the highest) to eight outputs thrice
removed (these eight are the ones you are calling "on the other 1:8
splitter").

Perhaps a diagram is in order (see below).  Each dot represents a 1:2
splitter.  (I've drawn only 1:8.  A 1:16 is just this plus another
1:8, connected to the two outputs of another 1:2 splitter.)

To find the worst case output-to-output isolation, you need to
identify two electrically adjacent output ports -- either by
measurement or from the manufacturer's published data.

Best regards,

Charles